We’re having meatloaf for dinner tonight.
Now, some of you may be thinking “meatloaf, yuk”. But, you haven’t seen my recipe. It stars ground beef, tomato sauce, vegetables, all of the necessary ingredients to produce a perfect meatloaf and, ah yes, CHEESE. Cheese is that secret, soul comforting, ingredient that moves meatloaf out of the mundane category and into the “Can we have meatloaf tonight?” category. Without further ado, here’s the recipe and I added my video below the recipe to show you step by step how to make it.
Spicy and stuffed with cheese. The way meatloaf should be.
3 Lbs. Ground Chuck
6 ounces Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
2 slices Bread, Toasted and Pulled Apart
1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Diced
1/2 Cup Celery, Chopped
2 Eggs, Beaten
6 ounces Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all ingredients except the Cheddar Cheese in a bowl large enough to mix the ingredients together, approximately a 4 quart size. Use a spoon to mix with so the heat from your hands will not warm the mixture. It is easier to work with if it is as cool as possible.
- Line a drip pan with foil and use a rack over the pan so the drippings can drip through.
- Place half of the mixture on the rack and shape into a rectangle. Press on the edges to form a ridge all the way around, similar to making a pie crust.
- When the base is formed, evenly spread the shredded cheese over the flat part of the base.
- Place the remaining meatloaf mixture in flattened sections over the cheese. Use your hands to spread the mixture to a thin layer, covering the whole base.
- Press all the way around to seal the cheese inside the meatloaf so that it doesn’t come out while the meatloaf is cooking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for one and a half hours.
- Remove from oven and let stand for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
If you want this to be an Italian Meat Loaf, add some Italian seasoning to the mixture and substitute Mozzarella Cheese instead of Cheddar Cheese.
Serving size: 1 serving
Percent daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (51%) 201.59
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22.08g 34%
Saturated Fat 9.09g 45%
Cholesterol 177.26mg 59%
Sodium 401.96mg 17%
Potassium 726.61mg 21%
Carbohydrates 6.92g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1.07g 4%
Sugar Alcohols 0.00g
Net Carbohydrates 5.85g
Protein 40.40g 81%
The video shows you step by step how to make the meatloaf.